Saturday, September 18, 2010

Picture Book - Bear's New Friend

"Why don't you like us?
WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY???"
Then a trembling voice says,
"Because---I am shy."
This quiet book with softly illustrated woodland creatures is the fourth in a series of books about a bear cub and his friends. It did not resonate with me though, at least not as strongly as some of the other pictures books I have read. I came back to the book a few days after my first reading and found I could recall very little of the plot. That said, it would be a good book to read aloud because of the rhyme and the repeated refrain of, "And the bear asks, WHO?" Children may start to predict the pattern and enjoy joining in by shouting out the phrase in cahoots with the book's reader. The characters are sweet and there is a nice moral involving the importance of overcoming shyness in order to make new friends. Recommended for those whose children are nervous about school or making friends in general.



Rating: 3.5 stars/5 stars

Recommended for ages 4 and up.

The details:
Wilson, K. (2006). Bear's New Friend. New York: Margaret K. McElderry Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment